Does this mean I will have to pay for waste and recycling?

    Your existing weekly 140L general waste (red lid) and fortnightly 240L co-mingled recycling (yellow lid) bin and residential organics (lime green lid) bin will become the new Basic residential service under the new service model.

    There will be no fee for the Basic service. Fees will only be charged for Enhanced services which provide additional service above existing levels.

    Service fees are necessary to enable service enhancements and ensure provision of services does not place excessive financial pressure on Council’s budget, and is fair, just and equitable between individual residents and eligible business premises.

    Can you give me an example of when fees would apply?

    The 140L weekly waste, 240L co-mingled recycling service and 240L residential organics service will remain free for eligible premises.

    Charges will apply to some services that are over and above the services Council currently provides at no charge.  
    •   For example, it is proposed that residents and eligible business premises could opt to pay a fee to upsize their 140L general waste (red lid) bin to a 240L bin.
    •   Alternatively, an eligible business premise may opt to take-up a new 140L or 240L weekly organics collection service and pay a fee for this service.

    There will be no service charge for residents or eligible business premises that opt to upsize their co-mingled recycling (yellow lid) bin from a 240L bin to a 360L bin.  This is because we want to encourage more recycling and remove business cardboard from the street.

    Will fee-for-service be priced to make a profit for Council?

    No, all service fees will be based upon a principle of reasonable cost recovery only

    How will the current basic kerbside residential service change, if at all?

    The existing waste (red lid), co-mingled recycling (yellow lid) and organics (green lid) collections will continue as the basic residential service.

    To reduce bins on streets and bin storage requirements within sites, high density residential developments will be offered a new bin service with larger capacity bins.

    Will residents who weren’t previously charged a fee now have to pay for a service?

    No, the basic Residential Waste Management Service (RWMS) will remain free of charge. Only the enhanced services, which would be optional, will be provided on a fee-for-service basis.

    What about my hard waste?

    The residential hard waste service will change from a fixed date quarterly collection to two pre-booked collections per year for each residential premise.

    This will improve service flexibility for residents and help reduce illegal dumping which can occur when residents are unsure of what to do with their unwanted goods.

    Additional booked collections will be available on a fee-for-service basis if needed by residents.

    What is an ‘eligible business premise’?

    An eligible business premise would have a weekly waste generation rate that is compatible by waste types and volumes with the storage capacity of Council’s Business Waste Management Service (BWMS).

    Benchmark generation rates, such as those specified in Council’s Design Guide for Residential Recycling, would be used as the basis for determining compatibility of waste and recycling volumes with Council services.

    Where multiple related businesses operate from a single site record or adjoining site records, they will be assessed as a single business premise that may receive a single BWMS.

    Is there a limit to how many services a building or site can receive?

    Yes, there will be a limit of up to two Business Waste Management Services (BWMS) plus one BWMS to a rate exempt or rebated business premise per site record.

    A BWMS will comprise a weekly 140L bin collected weekly and a 240L co-mingled recycling (yellow lid) bin collected fortnightly.
    In a main street or predominately business areas, the co-mingled recycling bin will be collected weekly rather than fortnightly to enable the removal of the cardboard collection from the footpath, and businesses can elect to replace their existing 240L co-mingled recycling bin with a 360L bin.

    I run a small business that currently receives Council’s waste service – will I still get it?

    Most likely, yes. It will depend on how much waste and recycling your business premise generates. You will also have the option of receiving enhanced services for a fee.

    However, if your business waste generation exceeds the allowances of both the basic and enhanced service, you will have the option to receive a transitional Council waste and recycling service for a fee whilst you source private waste management services.

    To support businesses that need to transition off Council’s service, Council will prepare a list of preferred suppliers that are prepared to offer competitive pricing and superior contracting terms.

    Will the kerbside cardboard service continue?

    No, it will be replaced with the option of an improved weekly rather than fortnightly recycling collection service in defined main street and predominantly business areas.

    This service would utilise larger 360L bins to increase weekly recycling service volumes from 120L to 360L. This change would remove the visual blight, potential hazards and obstructions that the current cardboard collection causes on Council footpaths.

    Will serviced apartments that weren’t previously charged a fee now have to pay for a service?

    Yes, it is proposed that serviced apartments would pay a fee to receive Council’s Residential Waste Management Service.
    Serviced apartments are tourist accommodation and therefore a business premise not a residential premise. Council has no ongoing obligation to provide waste management services to business premises.

    To facilitate and simplify service delivery to residential premises in mixed-use buildings, Council will extend waste and recycling services to serviced apartments on an enhanced fee-for-service basis only.

    Are there services that can be opted into and out of?

    Yes, enhanced services that are offered on a fee-for-service basis can be opted into and out of on an annual basis.
    Eligible business premises will need to retain as a minimum, a basic waste and co-mingled recycling service.

    Do other councils provide waste services to business?

    Adelaide City Council is the only Australian capital city council to offer basic waste collection services to small business at no cost. This part of the service will not change. The new service will allow for an enhanced service for an additional fee.

    My business is growing, how will Council’s waste and recycling guidelines and policy impact me?

    Council will work with businesses as waste and recycling needs change and grow with their business growth to provide advice and support in transitioning to alternative more suitable waste management services

    How do I provide my feedback?

    There are a number of ways in which you can provide feedback:

    Feedback Form
    Complete the Feedback Form which asks specific questions about the project and provides an opportunity for general comments regarding the project/proposal.

    Submission Form
    Complete the Submission Form to provide your feedback. Submissions must include the name and residential address of the respondent, and will be included in a report to Council which will be available to the public.

    Telephone Hotline

    Contact us by phone on our Waste and Recycling Services Policy Hotline 8203 7550.

    Open House Display
    Visit our Open House Display at the Meeting Hall, rear 25 Pirie Street, Adelaide. Plese see the key dates section for session times.

    Staff will be conducting workshops with key stakeholder groups, including business representatives, state government, developers and waste industry representatives.

    Online/ Website
    Council has a dedicated website that provides an opportunity for quick and efficient online feedback. Visit for information about the project and online ways to provide your comments.

    Alternatively comments can be emailed to

    Written Submissions
    All written submissions must be received by 5.00 pm on 6 June 2014 and should be addressed to:
    Community Consultation
    Draft Waste and Recycling Services Policy
    GPO Box 2252, Adelaide SA 5001

    Electronic submissions are available online at, or alternatively comments can be e-mailed directly to

    What happens to my feedback?

    Your feedback will be used to inform Council’s consideration of the Waste and Recycling Services Policy in July or August 2014

    How do I know my feedback has been received?

    All feedback forms, submissions or correspondence will be acknowledged either by email or in writing so that you know your comments/feedback has been received.

    Who do I contact for more information?

    For more information, please contact:
    Sarah Wigley; Sustainability Advisor
    Phone: 8203 7700