What is a dry area?

    A ‘dry area’ is a declared area where the consumption, and/or opened possession of alcohol is prohibited. Any person who consumes or has possession of opened alcohol in a dry area is guilty of an offence which carries a maximum penalty of $5,000. Offenders may be issued with an expiation notice of $315.

    Is Council applying for a 24/7 Dry Area in all Park Lands?

    Yes. Following Council’s decision on Tuesday 10 December 2019, an application requesting the creation of a 24/7 Dry Area in all Park Lands until 22 September 2021, is being progressed.

    Why is Council engaging with the community on the establishment of a 24/7 all-of-Park Lands dry area?

    Before the Commissioner for Liquor Licensing can consider Council’s application, Council will need to demonstrate that it has conducted broad and meaningful engagement with its community.

    Why do the Adelaide Park Lands have dry area restrictions?

    The City of Adelaide aims to provide safe and accessible public spaces for all members of the community. The purpose of a dry area is to curb alcohol-related problems in public areas. A dry area helps to manage the use of the Park Lands and provide safe and accessible spaces for recreating and activities such as walking, running, quiet contemplation, picnicking and gathering socially.

    When was the Park Lands Dry Area first implemented?

    In July 2014, the City of Adelaide applied to the State Government for a trial dry area in the Park Lands to help alleviate issues of excessive alcohol consumption and anti-social behaviour. The Liquor and Gambling Commissioner approved a trial that declared the Park Lands a dry area between the hours of 8pm and 11am the following day.

    The Park Lands Dry Area was implemented to address alcohol related anti-social behaviour by large groups of people congregating in the southern Park Lands and to alleviate impacts to residential amenity. Many of these people were at risk/experiencing homelessness or otherwise vulnerable

    What dry areas are in place in the City of Adelaide?

    All streets and squares of the Adelaide CBD and North Adelaide, along with Kurangga (Park 20) and Veale Gardens/Walya Yarta (Park 21) in the southern Park Lands are dry areas at all times. The remaining Park Lands are dry areas from 8pm until 11am the following day.

    Who manages and enforces the Dry Areas?

    It is the responsibility of SA Police to monitor and enforce dry areas. Breaches of dry area regulations can be reported to Police on 131 444.

    What support is available for vulnerable and homeless people who may be impacted by dry area restrictions?

    There are a range of Government and non-government services available to support people who are at risk/experiencing homelessness or are vulnerable in the City of Adelaide. You can notify services of the location of a rough sleeper at www.streetconnect.sa.gov.au and an outreach service will attend and offer support.

    Why was a 24/7 Dry Area implemented in just these two parks?

    The Attorney-General received representations on this issue from the Member for Adelaide and concerned residents and businesses who have reported an increase in anti-social behaviour in and around Parks 20 and 21 of the Adelaide Park Lands. These issues are close to children’s sporting and residential facilities. It is hoped that the three-month 24/7 dry zone will act as a ‘circuit breaker’ for these issues.

    The Liquor Licensing Commissioner plans to ‘obtain feedback on any issues that arise during the trial’ and states that, ‘at the conclusion of the trial period, the overall effectiveness of the measure will be considered.’

    How will people know they are in the 24/7 Dry Area?

    There is signage in Parks 20 and 21 to support users of these Parks to understand the new regulation.

    Would I be able to consume alcohol at a family picnic or barbeque in the Park Lands?

    No, you would not be able to consume alcohol on these occasions. You will first need to obtain a permit from the Liquor Licensing Commission.

    At present a permit for small events and social gatherings costs $93.00 and must be applied for at least seven days ahead of the planned event. A permit must be obtained from Consumer and Business Services. More information can be found at https://www.cbs.sa.gov.au/liquor-gambling-lotteries

    Will the Dry Area in these two parks push people into other areas?

    SAPOL are proactive at monitoring and responding to anti-social behaviour in all areas of the Park Lands.

    The implementation of a dry area has always required coordinated and multi- faceted supports for vulnerable people with complex needs. SAPOL recognises that within a regulatory approach, the underlying issues of excessive drinking among vulnerable people still exist and supports the use of dry areas in conjunction with other strategies that support those with complex issues and mitigate the criminalisation of health issues.

    The Park Lands Dry Area requires a community safety and policing approach to ensure that all Park Lands users can access public spaces in a safe and enjoyable way.

    Is this policy targeting Aboriginal people?

    No. The implementation of a dry area in the Adelaide Park Lands will apply to everyone.

    The Adelaide Park Lands have always been a location for Aboriginal people to meet and socialise. People from remote communities travel to Adelaide for many reasons, including health and hospital attendance, cultural activities, to visit family and during cultural business in communities.

    Lack of appropriate and safe accommodation during these visits means that Aboriginal people may sleep rough in public spaces.

    As part of the Adelaide Zero Project, further work is being conducted into the needs of Aboriginal people who socialise in the Park Lands and/ or sleep rough, including those who travel between Adelaide and remote communities, to specifically identify the barriers and appropriate interventions that provide safe services and accommodation.

    An interagency working group hosted by the Liquor Licensing Commissioner and Drug and Alcohol Services SA is coordinating a range of responses to address the immediate need and concerns of both members of Aboriginal communities and local residents/businesses over the 2019/2020 summer.